How an electric fence works?
Electric fence is a psychological barrier that keeps animals in and wild animals and predators out. A pulse of electric current is sent along the fence wire, about one pulse per second, from an energizer which is grounded. When the animal touches the fence, it completes the circuit between the fence and the ground and receives a short, sharp but safe shock. The shock is sufficiently memorable that the animal never forgets.
Because it is a psychological barrier, it does not require great physical strength. However, it must be well designed and constructed to absorb some pressure from animals, snow and wind. The energizer must have enough power for the length of the fence and for the animals being controlled.
Advantages of electric fence
- Affordable: Electric fence is 50% less expensive to build and maintain than barbed wire, according to the 2005 study by Iowa State University on estimated costs for livestock fencing.
- Easily constructed
- Low maintenance
- Lightweight and portable
- Durable – due to low physical contact
- Easily modified or expanded
- Keeps animals in and predators out
Animal control is perhaps the most widely recognized reason for power fencing. Not only does power fencing keep domestic animals and livestock contained, it has various other important uses, including:
- Keeping wild animals out
- Separating different groups of animals
- Allowing rationing of crops and pasture
- Fencing animals off from eroding areas, trees, rivers and roads
Other key benefits of power fencing:
- Easily constructed and maintained
- Durable, because of low physical contact
- Light weight and easily transported
- Easily modified
- Less animal hide and pelt damage
- Deterrent to trespassers and predators
For convenient, economical animal control, improved pasture management and more profitable farming, a Gallagher Power Fence System is the trusted solution.
Financial and Technical support is available for any farm, ranch, and farm-related businesses from a variety of Federal, State and Local agencies and from non-governmental organizations. Chances are good that there are grants or funding available to off-set the purchase of our products. Start your search here to help manage natural resources in a sustainable manner..